Dear Final Leg Team Members;
We are now only 58 days away from our Final Leg mission. Things are really starting to happen now. The media attention will begin picking up as the excitement builds. I hope each and everyone one of you had the opportunity to utilize the boilerplate press release I sent announcing your participation in the Final Leg. Your Torch Run/SO program should utilize their media contacts to help build excitement in your local community and highlight your participation in this historic event.
I know all of the Team Leader have been communicating with their teams building the esprit de corp and your team identity. As we get closer to the event you should be putting in some mileage getting yourself prepared for the daily runs. While the individual runs are not great distances, they will be repeated four to six time a day for thirteen days. The weather will be between hot and hotter and you will need to be very aware about maintaining your hydration.....that is extremely important!!! Train hard and be ready!!!!
We are still finalizing details on housing for the Final Leg and they may be a few slight alterations in the rooming assignments that I will get to you as soon as everything is solidified. On at least one night there will be four or five to a suite (four or five bedrooms and two baths). There is also a ceremony location that has changed and we will get you all of those details in an upcoming communication.
I'm sure everyone is starting to think about packing and what they should bring with them so here are some reminders.
Here is a list of what you will receive with your uniform kit (the majority of what you will wear for 15 days!):
• Six (6) moisture wicking running t-shirts (three different colors)
• Two polo shirts
• One button down, short sleeve shirt
• Four (4) pair running shorts
• One (1) running/track type suit
• One (1) baseball style hat
• Six (6) pairs of running socks (ankle)
• Fanny pack
• Back pack
• Large Gear bag for your clothing
Logistics & Documentation Team members will receive regular shorts....not running shorts!
The objective is for all Final Leg team members to pack very light as you will be receiving most of the clothes that you will be wearing during the Final Leg event.
WHAT SHOULD I BRING WITH ME?
Recommended list of what to bring:
• A pair of jeans or casual pants for meals and evening wear
• One or two pairs of casual shorts
• 1 pair of khaki or tan pants for the Team Party
• A couple short sleeve t-shirts and/or sweatshirts for on-your-own wear — bring items from your own Torch Run program if available
• Running shoes, 2 pairs recommended
• Sunglasses, sunscreen, and lip protection
• A pair of casual shoes for dinners and leisure time
• Extra pairs of socks for running and leisure time
• Appropriate ID for air travel, and passport/visa if required
• If you wear them, extra contact lenses if possible due to the heat
• Toiletries for the duration of the Final Leg—hotels provide soap and shampoo
• Camera and batteries
• Small container of Woolite or detergent to wash out an item or two during the event
• Mesh laundry bag with your name on it for laundry during the Final Leg event
• Notebook or journal to record your Final Leg experiences, memories, and stories—you will be glad you did!
• Bathing Suit (for pools and ocean)
ANOTHER reminder...law enforcement runners are required to bring their police summer dress uniforms with them to wear during Opening Ceremonies. Do not bring weapons, ammunition, holsters, or any belt accessories such as handcuffs…this includes local law enforcement! You will not be allowed into Opening Ceremonies with any weapons!!! Please do bring your leather “Sam Browne” belt (with under-belt and keepers if needed) and buckle, and remember to bring your dress coat, hat and police shoes. We will store your uniform in a secure facility upon your arrival and return it to you prior to Opening Ceremonies so you do not have to carry it around with you during the Final Leg event. If you do not wear a police uniform, don’t fret, you will be participating in the Opening Ceremonies in another way.
For those individuals from countries that need a U.S. Visa to visit the United States, PLEASE make sure that you have already made application for them as you will not be permitted to board your plane without your passport AND a valid VISA.
I know your Team Leaders will continue to build excitement within your respective teams in the coming weeks and we will be in Los Angeles before you know it.
I will be sending you more information and updates as we get closer. In the mean tme, please don't hesitate to contact me or your Team leader if you have any questions or concerns.
All the best;
2015 Los Angeles Final Leg